Tuesday, January 1, 2013

1/1/13

Yesterday was a pretty crazy day. This one family comes in with their three cats and wants the works done. I take one look at one of their cats and I think "Diabetes" and naturally they can't afford to spend $160 on insulin every month so....
They were asking me "how do we know when it's time? He's not ready yet, but when do we know?" and it was sad because...it kinda was time for him. Or will be soon. He had sores on the bottom of all four paws, making it painful to walk. He's starving to death in slow motion. He's always hungry and thirsty. He has a UTI and has to pee all the time. I told them that when he hit DKA that would be the end of the line and to evaluate how he's doing week to week...but that this couldn't go on for long.
And it was their first time to visit our hospital and I had to give them this terrible news.

There was a big ol' Rottweiler that came in with a muzzle already on, and WOW was she unhappy to see me! She was crazy with fear, trying to bite through the muzzle, shrieking at an impossibly high octave. And all she needed was a rabies vaccine, poor girl!

I did my first antibiotics+pred catch-all recommendation. It will work but I feel like a bad doc for it.

Everyone is very impressed with how I spay. It makes me feel special.