Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting Hit by a Car








Yes, yes. It's been a long time since I posted last, blah, blah, blah.

Funny story time now:

It was July 1st, 2009. I was heading home after being on call for Community Veterinary Services. It was 9:30pm as I turned onto Friendship Road (between Little Dooey's and the cemetery). I see a cat in the middle of the road, not moving.
"Shoot, it's probably dead, but I'll stop anyway"
I pull over, get out, look at it. No, it's not dead. It's breathing rapidly and it's eyes are looking around wildly. I walk back to my car for a towel. By the time I'm back to the cat, cars are driving towards me from the right side of the road. They slow down and watch me, being sure to leave their brights on, as I gently pick up the cat. I carefully stand up and step out into the right lane. And I see headlights. Five feet from me. Not stopping.
"They're not stopping. I'm going to be hit by a car. I don't want to be hit by a car"
And then there's an impact on my right side and something made of glass breaks and I'm flying through the air.
"This is going to hurt. I am going to die. I really hope they don't run over me."
I land, bump the ground hard on my right side, and skid on the asphalt. The entire time I expect a tire to squish my head, but I felt calm about it for the most part. When I come to a stop, I open one eye, then the other eye, and think,
"No...no broken bones. No concussion. No massive bleeding. No internal hemorrhage...alright...not that bad!"
My shoes are on opposite sides of the road, I have nasty road rash on my right wrist, abrasion on my right hand, both feet, and both knees. I have a growing bump on my head and bruises all over both legs. Clumps of my hair on the road.
The police and the ambulance arrive and check me out. The cat was thrown 15 feet from me and I was thrown myself about 10 feet. I broke the left headlight of the car. Thankfully, I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants! All in all I was fine but went to the emergency room to be checked out.

The people who hit me were really nice about it! They are a sweet engaged couple getting married in a week. They took me to the emergency room and stayed with me until I left and Jeremy came to take me home. As far as getting hit by a car goes, it was the best possible outcome!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Joy! I'm glad you're okay...what a crazy story.