Friday, February 22, 2013

Feb 15-21st

I started working at the infamous Germantown clinic last week. Germantown is the biggest money-maker clinic in Maryland. They have the most clients, the most production per pet, the most doctors, and the most hectic schedule. 
I actually liked it a lot. I felt so busy, I hardly realized that it was past 7pm when I left! 
The partner doctor at GT is Dr. Hurry. He's a hard-ass Scotsman who loves Keurigs, Dr. Who, and Aeron chairs. I think I'll start watching Dr. Who just to get in good with Dr. Hurry. I've heard that he can be very brusque, especially with newbies.


Dr. Hurry's Keurig that he bought for GT

The lovely remodel that GT got for being the highest producing hospital in MD.



I also worked my first day at the low-cost clinic and I looooooooooooved it! I had a great time and everyone seemed so laid back and nice. They had a keurig too. I've been telling cash-strapped clients about the clinic in the hopes that they will get their animals spayed/neutered there.

R the mandibular degloving came in for his suture removal. We had to heavily sedate him as he is now completely uncooperative for any veterinary work. But his face looks great!



The Techs were making goodie bags for a first grade class that was coming to visit. We got a little crazy with the balloons and stuffed animals.

Petsmart was going to throw away all these old stuffed animals, so an employee snuck a trash bag of them over to us. He said if we wanted some we had to sneak them out. Kevin stuffed them into the sleeves of his jacket.


 One of my favorite patients got neutered (by me) on Wednesday. I put him in the stuffed animal pile. It was cute.


One of "my" clients (but for real, they love me because I got their dog to stop itching) came in this week. They are switching both their dogs to Banfield because of me (yay!). Their other dog has all these issues. He's had lyme disease, he has a porto-systemic shunt, and as I discovered during my exam, he is cryptorchid (that means one testicle never descended, and is in his abdomen, making cancer). I asked the owners, "Has anyone ever told you that he's missing a testicle?" and the owners were like "OMG no!". At which I point I went through the spiel about how cryptorchid testicles must be removed because they stand a 100% chance of becoming cancer. And then I went into the back and starting ranting about how for the love of all things did their previous vet NOT REALIZE THAT HE ONLY HAD ONE TESTICLE?? ESPECIALLY as PSS dogs have a known correlation with also being cryptorchid?? So I may be doing a cryptorchid surgery soon.


I'm still sick. Some lymph nodes are persistently enlarged and sore to the point that I've been having trouble sleeping. I finally decided on the nuclear option and starting taking pred. It's helped. Dr. Mason has also been suffering from enlarged lymph nodes and she also put herself on pred. We feel pretty good about it, even though we know we could be allowing our bodies to foster a horrible viral infection.